- I don’t understand how the financial system works 🤔
- My savings are losing their value 💸
- I’m worried about my pension 💰
- The gap between rich and poor is growing 📈
- Housing prices are too high 🏘️
- Banks are corrupt and self-serving 🐺
- Local businesses are going bankrupt 🧾
- Prices are going up 🛒
- Unemployment is rising 🤖
- The economy is fuelling the climate crisis ⛽
- We will never pay off the public debt 💶
- Bankers have too much power 🕴️
Banks are corrupt and self-serving 🐺
Private banks are businesses and are mainly concerned with making a profit. They don’t care about ordinary people and frequently break the rules. They put their shareholders’ interests above the interest of their customers, human rights and the environment.
Do you agree with that?
→ Ⓒ The European Central Bank should stop letting banks create too much debt This approach discusses the immense power of the private commercial banking sector to create money and to determine where it goes and at what price. It invites you to reflect on the ECB’s role in reinforcing this power.
→ Ⓓ The European Central Bank should support the economy and citizens more directly The ECB does not interact directly with citizens and non-financial business. Rather, it works through the intermediary of the financial system, and it only weakly controls the private sector bank activity. This approach urges a debate on whether the ECB should interact more directly with citizens and non-financial businesses.